Elmts buildup of some of the elements I did for an rnd test at the very beginning of the project … (h264 crushed the blacks and colors a bit as usual):
I’ve always been a huuuuge fan of Asian martial arts movies.
So of course I was more than stoked to get the call to work on a quick stint for Jet Li’s upcoming movie Feng Shen Bang or League of Gods as it will be called in the “Western” world.
No idea what they ended up doing with the grading of the trailer … Anyway, I got to do all the CG fires and smoke sims (and renders) as well as all the embers
Started to venture into procedural modelling for games and created a procedural rock generator in Houdini. Buncha layered noises and stuff. Unfortunately I never got to finish this one as I got sick and needed to start working on another commercial project right after that damn flu finally let go of me. Heapsa fun and wanna digg deeper into this (and have a look at proper uv-ing) when I get the time …
So, I thought I’d be putting H15 through it’s passes a little too look at performance improvements … In my experience, reusing “old” workflows – that have proven to be able to create great results many times over – often yields fun surprises, so I went back to the old POP-Solver (NonDOPs) and had a play.
WOW!!!! I stopped at 4.24BILLION particles taking around 5gb RAM!!! Coulda done a multitude of that on my laptop easily) Nice one SideFX! Read more →
Another quick turnaround job for 360 security’s TVC staring Khloe K. Symbolizing a big burden virusses – represented by actors – where meant to be magically pulled off the shoulders of the main male actor and explode into gravel and dust. I was responsible for all those disintegration fx, which included a buncha particles, RBD and fluid sims. Not much time at hand as a one man army, so a quick n easy setup had to be build and implemented into shots. Good fun 😉
Quick font to particle disintegration playpen … heaps to improve …. just a quick motion test done for grandpa’s birthday video on an old laptop … masking with the real font to be done in comp and not included here … a few million particles each.
Commercial for brand developing company Vanilla Horizon. Focus of this tvc lies on the companies ability to improve clients’ business performances throughout branding. Logo and company name were integral in the following story development: Read more →
Had a chance to quickly play around with a H12 beta at work today and did a quick pyro shader test … quick n dirty, but not too bad
for the Ashes series this year KFC flew in the Colonel for a bunch of TVC’s. We filmed at the Sydney Cricket Grounds, which was amazing to see without it being filled with the usual events’ circus. Seeing areas you wouldn’t usually get to see. Also I hadn’t been on set that many times before and that is always exciting.
Later on we added some firework fx with all the volumetric lighting, smoke and stuff in Houdini.
During my time on Green Lantern we contemplated creating the backdrops of Death Valley in 3D instead of matt paintings for the dog fight scenes. I suggested NASA DEM’s and Terragen as a fast way and was asked to do a quick proof of concept – including showing volumetrics in TG2. I ended up spending one evening after work on this (as one can tell ;P). We were all pretty happy with it, but rendertimes, the lack of a linux version and our linux based farm meant the end of it in the end. Hope Planetside eventually releases Linux versions of TG. It’s a GREAT package and I would love to be able to use it more at work.
Sam and I did a bunch of shots for what was meant to be a NationalGeographics Docu about the last leg of a bunch of expeditions to complete the 7 summits (reaching the highest point of each continent). This last peak is situated in Antarctica in the Elseworth Mountain range and areal footage is hard to come by or very very expensive. We ended up using NASA data to recreate a physically accurate representation of the area (down to a detail of 1m), chucked some ice and snow on there and created several shots flying a camera through the terrain to show the travel route of the expedition. Unfortunately upon completio NatGeo decided Antarctica expeditions were too cool now and went on producing vulcano docus instead … Still … learned a lot and had a good time.
Workmate today asked me how easy it would be to get fluids interacting with fur in Houdini as he was having a hard time to get this setup working in Maya … half an hour later … I LOVE Houdini’s procedural approach where things just work
A quick test of custom forces to attract a fluid sim into a certain shape …. loadsa work to do still
Just playing around with a new beast in my life called Houdini …